Best Used SUV Reliability: Our Top Picks for Your Next Vehicle
SUVs have become increasingly popular in recent years due to their versatility, practicality and overall appeal. However, not everyone can afford a brand new SUV, which is where buying a used one can be a great option. But with so many different options on the market, it can be overwhelming to figure out which one is the best choice for you.
One of the most important factors to consider when looking for a used SUV is reliability. You want a vehicle that has a reputation for being durable, dependable and long-lasting. To help you make an informed decision, we’ve compiled a list of our top picks for the most reliable used SUVs on the market.
1. Toyota 4Runner
The Toyota 4Runner is a classic SUV that has been a fan favorite for decades. It’s known for its off-road capabilities and rugged design, making it the perfect choice for camping trips, outdoor activities and adventurous road trips. It’s also incredibly reliable, with a reputation for running smoothly well past the 200,000 mile mark.
One of the things that sets the 4Runner apart from other SUVs is its body-on-frame construction. This means that the car’s body is built separately from the frame instead of being attached to it, which can make it more durable and resistant to wear and tear.
The 4Runner also comes with a variety of safety features that can offer peace of mind when driving, including rearview cameras, stability control, and hill-start assist. While the 4Runner may not be the best choice for city driving due to its larger size and lower fuel economy, it’s an excellent option for anyone looking for an SUV that can handle a bit of rough terrain.
2. Honda CR-V
The Honda CR-V is a popular SUV that is known for its spacious interior, smooth handling, and fuel efficiency. It’s considered one of the most reliable cars on the market, with a reputation for durability and dependability.
The CR-V has a solid safety record, thanks to features like the Honda Sensing system, which includes forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, and lane-departure warning. It also has a comfortable interior with plenty of legroom and cargo space, making it a great choice for families or those who frequently travel with passengers.
One of the other benefits of the CR-V is its fuel efficiency. It’s rated at up to 34 mpg on the highway, which can save you money on gas over time. The only downside to the CR-V is that it may not be the best option for off-roading or particularly rough terrain, as it’s primarily a city-friendly vehicle.
3. Subaru Forester
The Subaru Forester is a versatile SUV that is known for its all-wheel drive and excellent safety features. It’s a vehicle that is able to handle a variety of different weather conditions, making it a popular choice for those who live in areas with harsh winters or lots of rain.
The Forester comes with a standard suite of safety features, including adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, and automatic emergency braking. It also has a spacious interior with room for up to five passengers, making it an excellent family vehicle.
Like many other Subarus, the Forester has a reputation for being reliable and long-lasting. It’s not uncommon to see Foresters with 200,000 miles or more on the odometer, thanks to the car’s rugged design and attention to detail. Overall, the Subaru Forester is a great option for anyone looking for reliability, safety, and versatility.
4. Mazda CX-5
The Mazda CX-5 is a compact SUV that is known for its sleek design, fuel efficiency, and excellent handling. It’s also one of the most reliable SUVs on the market, with a reputation for being durable and dependable.
One of the reasons the CX-5 is so popular is because of its fuel efficiency. It’s able to get up to 25 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway, which can save you money on gas over time. It also has a comfortable interior with plenty of legroom and cargo space, making it a great option for families or those who frequently travel with passengers.
The CX-5 also has a solid safety record, with features like blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, and a rearview camera. It’s an excellent choice for those who prioritize safety and reliability when choosing a vehicle.
5. Lexus RX
The Lexus RX is a luxury SUV that is known for its smooth ride, spacious interior, and advanced safety features. It’s a great option for anyone who wants a vehicle that is both reliable and luxurious.
The RX comes with a variety of safety features, including lane departure warning, automatic high beams, and adaptive cruise control. It also has a comfortable interior with high-quality materials and plenty of legroom and cargo space.
One of the other benefits of the RX is its reputation for reliability. Lexus is known for producing high-quality vehicles that are built to last, and the RX is no exception. While it may not be the most affordable option on the market, it’s an excellent choice for those who want a reliable, long-lasting SUV that also offers a touch of luxury.
When it comes to buying a used SUV, reliability should be a top priority. Each of the vehicles on this list has a reputation for being durable, dependable, and long-lasting, making them great choices for anyone looking for a used SUV. Whether you prioritize fuel efficiency, safety features, off-road capabilities, or luxury, there is an SUV on this list that is sure to meet your needs and exceed your expectations.
Frequently Requested Questions About Best Used Suv Reliability
What are the most reliable used SUVs?
When looking for a used SUV, reliability is a top consideration. Here are three of the most reliable used SUVs on the market:
- Toyota RAV4: Known for its reliability and performance, the Toyota RAV4 remains a popular used SUV choice. Its spacious interior and advanced safety features make it an excellent option for families.
- Honda CR-V: The Honda CR-V is another highly reliable used SUV option. It offers great fuel efficiency, responsive handling, and a roomy cabin for a comfortable ride.
- Subaru Outback: Along with its all-wheel drive system, the Subaru Outback provides excellent reliability and versatility. Its spacious cargo area makes it a great option for those who love traveling or need extra storage space.
What are some common issues with used SUVs?
While reliability is key, it’s important to keep in mind that used SUVs may have their fair share of issues. Here are some common issues to watch out for:
- Transmission problems: As with many used vehicles, transmission issues can arise. Some signs of transmission trouble may include trouble shifting gears, slipping gears, or a burning smell.
- Electrical issues: Electrical problems can range from a malfunctioning stereo to major electrical issues that affect the vehicle’s overall performance. It’s important to have the electrical system thoroughly inspected before making a purchase.
- Suspension issues: SUVs are often used for off-road adventures, which can put a strain on the suspension system. Common suspension issues may include worn-out shocks or broken ball joints.
What is the best way to ensure the reliability of a used SUV?
There are several steps you can take to ensure the reliability of a used SUV:
- Get a vehicle history report: A vehicle history report can give you insight into the car’s past, including whether it’s ever been in an accident or had major repairs.
- Have a pre-purchase inspection: A pre-purchase inspection by a trusted mechanic can help you get an idea of the vehicle’s overall condition and any potential issues.
- Research the make and model: Look up reviews and ratings for the specific make and model SUV you’re considering. This can give you a better idea of its reliability and common issues.
What warranties are available for used SUVs?
While factory warranties typically only cover new cars, there are options for extended warranties and service contracts for used SUVs. Here are some types of warranties to consider:
- Extended warranty: An extended warranty can provide added coverage beyond the original factory warranty. It can cover major repairs and services, such as engine or transmission rebuilds.
- Service contract: A service contract can help cover costs of routine maintenance, such as oil changes, brake inspections, and tire rotations.
- Third-party warranty: A third-party warranty can provide coverage beyond the factory warranty and can be tailored to fit your specific needs and budget.
What is the best age and mileage for a used SUV?
The ideal age and mileage for a used SUV largely depends on your budget and what you’re looking for in a vehicle. While mileage can be an important factor, it’s also important to consider the vehicle’s overall condition and maintenance history. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Check the vehicle’s maintenance records: Regular maintenance can help ensure the SUV’s reliability, so it’s important to check for proof of maintenance and repairs.
- Consider a certified pre-owned vehicle: Certified pre-owned vehicles often come with a warranty and have undergone a thorough inspection.
- Think about your budget: A newer SUV with lower mileage may be more expensive, but it may offer more peace of mind in terms of reliability. On the other hand, a well-maintained older SUV with higher mileage may be a more affordable option.
Common Misunderstandings About Best Used Suv Reliability
Best used SUV reliability is one important aspect that every SUV buyer looks for when searching for a used SUV as it guarantees the longevity of the vehicle. However, there are several misconceptions that exist in the market regarding this subject. In this article, we will be discussing common misconceptions surrounding best used SUV reliability.
Misconception 1: All used SUVs are unreliable
There is a misconception that all used SUVs are unreliable. However, this is not necessarily true; some used SUVs can be just as reliable as new ones. The reliability of a used SUV is determined by several factors, such as maintenance history, mileage, and usage habits of the previous owner. Some brands, such as Toyota and Honda, have a reputation for producing some of the most reliable SUVs on the market, which suggests that not all used SUVs are unreliable.
Misconception 2: The higher the mileage, the less reliable the SUV will be
Another misconception is that the higher the mileage, the less reliable the SUV will be. However, the actuality is that high mileage is often indicative of how well the SUV was maintained. SUVs that receive regular maintenance and periodic servicing usually have longer lifespans, regardless of the mileage. As a result, mileage is not always a good indicator of a SUV’s reliability.
Misconception 3: Used SUVs don’t have warranties
Many buyers believe that used SUVs do not come with warranties. However, this is not necessarily true. Many used SUVs available have warranties, and it is up to the discretion of the seller whether they want to offer a warranty or not. For instance, certified pre-owned SUVs come equipped with a comprehensive warranty that covers most parts of the car. Therefore, it is essential to read the sales contract carefully before purchasing the vehicle to ensure that there are no ambiguities regarding warranty coverage.
Misconception 4: Brand new SUVs are always more reliable
There is a belief that brand new SUVs are always more reliable than used ones. However, this is not always the case. Some newly manufactured SUV models can have defects or issues that were not discovered in the testing phase, making them less reliable than older models. On the other hand, some used SUVs have been adequately maintained and still have a lot of life left in them, making them a more practical purchase than a new SUV.
Misconception 5: All SUVs depreciate at the same rate
Finally, there is a myth that all SUVs depreciate at the same rate, regardless of the brand, model, or age. However, the fact of the matter is that the depreciation rate of SUVs varies by make and model. For instance, some high-end SUVs lose value very quickly, while others, such as Toyota vehicles, hold their value for a long time. Therefore, it is imperative to do extensive research on the make and model of the SUV that you want to purchase to determine its depreciation rate.
In conclusion, it is essential not to rely on hearsay or popular opinions when deciding on the reliability of a used SUV. Instead, it is crucial to do thorough research on the make and model and factors such as maintenance history and mileage. Furthermore, it is essential to read the sales contract carefully to understand precisely what is covered under the warranty. By doing the necessary research and due diligence, you’ll be able to find a reliable and trustworthy used SUV that meets all your requirements.
Best Used Suv Reliability