Ford has responded to the Ram 1500 TRX with its own supercharged supertruck: the manufacturer-new 2023 Ford F-150 Raptor R. Ford could be late to the social gathering, but followers can relaxation certain that its 5.2-liter supercharged V8 is completely ready to throw down, packing 700 horsepower in a leaner, far more-focused bundle. You can study all about the new Raptor R in our debut publish-up, but if you’re curious how it stacks up to the TRX by some of its important metrics, you’re in the correct location. Let’s get began.
Let us go ahead and get this one particular out of the way. The two of these trucks provide blistering functionality figures, but a fast look at the specs suggests a very clear winner. The two the Ford and Ram are half-ton crew taxi pickups driven by supercharged V8s, but how that offer arrives alongside one another differs quite drastically amongst the two.
2023 Ford F-150 Raptor R
- Motor: 5.2-liter supercharged DOHC V8
- Electricity: 700 horsepower
- Torque: 640 pound-feet
- Suspension: Impartial double-wishbone (entrance) 5-link coil with Panhard rod (rear) continually variable lively Fox dampers (both of those)
- Control Body weight: 5,950 lbs
2022 Ram 1500 TRX
It was on the lookout excellent for the TRX proper up right until the conclusion there. Ram has the edge in full electricity and torque — just barely — but that advantage disappears when you contemplate the TRX’s extra heft. 400 lbs could not look like the conclusion of the world in the context of these vehicles, but body weight plays a roll in all facets of effectiveness. This seems like a house operate for the Blue Oval.
Raptor was the default 50 %-ton efficiency truck for many yrs, but with OEMs having ever a lot more really serious about constructing total-sizing pickups that can consider a beating off-pavement, Ford has leaned more difficult into the Raptor’s substantial-velocity efficiency. Ram’s approach was related, only with a lot more electrical power — until eventually now, that is. But there is more to off-roading than blasting throughout the desert. Let us see how they stack up.
- Ground clearance: 13.1 inches
- Approach angle: 33.1 degrees
- Departure angle: 24.9 levels
- Breakover angle: 24.4 levels
- Tires: 37″ BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 on 17×8.5 beadlock-capable wheels
- Powertrain: 2-speed on-desire 4WD w/ mechanical lock and digital locking rear differential w/ 4.10:1 axle ratio
- Ground clearance: 11.8 inches
- Solution angle: 30.2 levels
- Departure angle: 23.5 levels
- Breakover angle: 21.9 levels
- Tires: 35″ Goodyear Wrangler Territory AT on 18×9 beadlock-able wheels
- Powertrain: 2-Velocity on-demand from customers 4WD w/ mechanical lock and electronic locking rear differential w/ 3.92:1 axle ratio
Ford appears to be like like it has the edge here as properly. Though their powertrains line up rather shut to one particular another, the Raptor presents extra floor clearance and better tactic, departure and breakover angles.
Let’s confront it, nobody’s acquiring a efficiency truck for the reason that it is really the most effective way to haul the household vacation trailer or powerboat to the lake a handful of times a yr these are toys. But if anything fun and silly can be useful way too, that is a great little reward. So let’s see how they stack up in terms of usual “truck” stuff.
- Towing capacity: 8,700 lbs .
- Payload ability: 1,400 lbs
- Towing potential: 8,100 kilos
- Payload capacity: 1,400 lbs
Ford has the edge listed here in towing, but the Ram matches its payload capacity handily. It can be fairly protected to say that if your priority is performing “truck things,” there is certainly seriously no incorrect solution listed here.
Judging by the spec sheets, the 2023 Ford F-150 Raptor R is the early beloved. It should not be also long just before we get the possibility to see for ourselves. Remain tuned!